Across the United States and Canada, your local BBB and the BBB Wise Giving Alliance (WGA) work together to provide thousands of BBB Wise Giving Reports on charities.
BBB Wise Giving Alliance
The BBB Wise Giving Alliance (WGA), a 501(c)(3) organization, was formed in 2001 through the merger of the National Charities Information Bureau (NCIB) and The Better Business Bureau’s Philanthropic Advisory Service (PAS). Both NCIB and the BBB PAS had provided information to the public about charities since the early 1950s. The merger partners offer over a century of combined experience in charity evaluation.
In 2003, with professional and technical assistance from representatives of small and large charities, the accounting profession, grant-making foundations, corporate contributions officers, regulatory agencies, research organizations and your local BBB, WGA implemented its 20 Standards for Charity Accountability. Significant independent research on donor expectations was commissioned to ensure that the views of the general public were reflected in the standards.
WGA, which is located in Arlington, Virginia, works with nationally-soliciting charities. A charity that solicits nationally may:
- solicit for contributions throughout the United States, instead of being limited geographically,
- have one central office that retains control of several local offices throughout the US,
- issue consolidated financial statements and one IRS Form 990 for its headquarters and all local offices, and
- have a single Board of Directors that controls the activities of its headquarters and local offices.
Nationally-soliciting charities can provide information online.
Cincinnati BBB Foundation’s Charity Education Services
Locally, your BBB began warning donors about charity scams as early as the 1950s. Since that time, your BBB’s Charity Education Services has grown to become one of the largest local charity programs in the country.
Your BBB has implemented the nationally recognized Standards for Charity Accountability to give local charities the opportunity to demonstrate the same commitment to donors as nationally-soliciting charities. To help local charities meet these standards, your BBB is able to provide personalized assistance, including:
· Phone Consultations: Take advantage of our expert advice by calling 513.421.3015.
· On-Site Assistance: We’ll personally visit you on-site to assess your materials and offer our expert advice.
· Group Presentations: Gather your Board of Directors, employees, key donors, and/or volunteers for a formal presentation on how your organization can incorporate ethics at every level.
Locally soliciting charities can also provide information online.