Christine Baker, Director Marketplace Resources
Cincinnati BBB processed just over 11, 500 complaints in 2009 and held just 21 mediations and arbitrations. While 20% of the total number of complaints were confirmed resolved, 21 complaints needed BBB Dispute Resolution services for further assistance in resolving the matter. This number is about average for the last couple of years but I want to remind both companies and customers that BBB offers these services.
Some benefits to BBB Dispute Resolution (D.R.) include:
• Generally are low cost or free.
• Informality: Parties are free to have a lawyer assist, but most people do not use one in D.R. proceedings. Hearings are held in a relaxed setting and courtroom rules of evidence do not apply.
• It’s empowering: Offers both parties a chance to state their case in a confidential forum.
• Convenient: BBB will try to schedule mediation sessions and arbitration hearings at the parties' convenience.
• Typically quick and convenient resolution time frame.
For more information visit us online at http://cincinnati.bbb.org/Dispute-Resolution-Services/Process/.